Monday, January 5, 2009

Lisa Tries... Sage Rubbed Pork Chops with Warm Apple Slaw

Cookbook: Ellie Krieger's The Food You Crave
Recipe: Sage Rubbed Pork Chops with Warm Apple Slaw



Chops:
1 TBSP chopped fresh sage
1 tspn garlice, minced
1/2 tspn salt
black pepper
4 3/4inch thick bone-in pork chop (my chops had no bones)
2 teaspoons olive oil
Combine ingredients minus oil and rub on chops, let sit for 10 mins.
Put oil in skillet, brown chops and set aside on dish.

Slaw:
2 tspn olive oil
1 lg onion sliced
1 lg apple coursely shredded
1 tspn chopped fresh sage
9 cups cabbage (I used a whole bag already shredded)
3 lg carrots shredded
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 tspn salt
3/4 c low sodium chicken broth

Cook onion, apple, sage until softened and golden brown. Add cabbage, carrots, vinegar, salt until cabbage softens. Add broth and pork chops, burying them in veggies. Cover and cook til pork chops blush inside.


So, I have all of the ingredients and supplies on counter. I'm going for it. I'm organized. I'm excited. This is going to be good.

As I put the ingredients together, I find that my Pampered Chef chopper wouldn't chop the apples, so I sliced them with a knife. Same with the carrots. No big deal to me that it doesn't look exactly like the picture in the cookbook. I am sure it will taste great.



I browned the pork chops as directed but when I added them back into the pan the brown disappeared. The pork chops turned grey and started to smell like a wet dog. The mixture is really soupy too. This can't be right. I poured some of the juice down the drain and refrained from covering the dish so more juices would evaporate. While the dish looks pretty, it sure does smell like vinegar. I can't imagine how this is going to taste good. I spoon a bit of the veggies into my mouth. Vinegar. Ugh. I checked the recipe and realized that I poured in 3/4 cups of vinegar instead of the 2 tablespoons that the recipe called for.

I turn off the stove, cover the dish, grab my keys and purse and head to McDonalds defeated.

1 comment:

  1. I could have saved you a few steps.
    Step 1) Drive to McDonald's. HAHA!

    I like the idea for this blog. Well executed, too. Cool!

    ReplyDelete