Monday, May 10, 2010

Lisa Tries... Chicken Breasts with Goat Cheese and Fire-Roasted Tomatoes

Chicken Breasts with Goat Cheese and Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
Recipe by Devin Alexander

What you need:
4 (4ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil spray (I used regular olive oil from bottle)
1/2 cup canned, drained, diced fire-roasted tomatoes or fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic (I forgot to drain)
2 tablespoons finely slivered basil leaves or more to taste

To make:
Preheat oven to 350. Season chicken with salt and pepper (trim chicken if needed). Spray skillet with olive oil and then place chicken in skillet over high heat. Cook the chicken til both sides are golden brown on the outsides, 1 to 2 minutes per side (mine were thick so I cooked about 5-7 mins on both sides).

If you have a skillet that goes into the oven use that otherwise, place chicken on baking sheet and put about two tablespoons of the tomatoes on chicken and then 1/2 ounce of the goat cheese. Bake til no longer pink inside (note that tomatoes will seep into chicken and could make it look pink) about 5-9 mins (I cooked mine for another 15-18 mins! and it was still moist!) and cheese is melted.

I topped with basil and a smidge more goat cheese on the piece I had.  I would have used fresh basil but my basil plant is pretty sad because I neglected it for a while.  It's making a comeback though!

Makes about 4 servings if you actually have 4 pieces of chicken. My package only had three. The package was deceptively thick so I assumed there were 4 in there. Oh well.


Anyway, it's about 171 calories, 29g protein, 2 carbs, 4 fat according to Devin Alexander.

I served with a side of California blend veggies.

Verdict:  I am a huge fan of goat cheese/tomato combination and so this recipe with those ingredients plus it's healthy and easy to make was a big plus.  It was very light, tasty, super easy, colorful, and something I'd make again! 

Next time I'll remember to drain the tomatoes and buy thinner pieces of chicken (don't care for big hunky pieces of poultry meat...)

On a side note: I rearranged my balcony to make more room.  I have a loveseat and table out there now and removed the chair.  I now have two cacti, gardenia plant, purslane, and basil.  I am gearing up to plant some herbs and purchase a night blooming jasmine.  I enjoy sitting on the balcony and having dinner in the evening.  (That's a pic of my aloe and gardenia and little Bella sniffing around the plants.)

Next time I post it will probably be from a recipe selected from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution cookbook sometime in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment