Monday, May 31, 2010

Lisa Tries... Chicken with Cashews

Recipe: Chicken with Cashews
From: Florida Culinary Institute

I can't believe I made something so yummy.  Don't get me wrong -- I've had some good luck lately cooking and have pretty much enjoyed my last few attempts - but this one is so good I could have ravaged the whole wok full of chicken and cashews (but I didn't!!).  This is my second try at making it with the first try being instructed by chefs at the FL Culinary Institute a few years back.  It's better than any other cashew chicken at a restaurant in my opinion.


What you need:
6 chinese dried mushrooms
12oz of boneless, skinless chicken cut into one inch cubes (I used .81lbs)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice cooking wine
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4tsp sugar
1/4tsp salt
3oz cashews (I used lightly sea salted bits and pieces)
2tbsp vegetable oil (I eye it)
3 slices of ginger
1tsp garlic (I used a tad bit more)
1 red bell pepper cut into 1 in squares (or something like that...)


What to do:
I'm not used to multitasking while cooking.  Even though it wasn't much, I still did it and had all my dishes washed as I went along.  There are several steps but well worth it!

In medium bow soak mushrooms in 1/3cup of cold water for about 30mins.  Drain and squeeze dry but reserve the liquid for later.  Cut off stems, thinly slice the caps. 

Preheat oven to 375.

Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes and combine chicken, 1tbsp of soy sauce, rice wine, cornstarch, sugar and salt in a medium bow. Stir and set aside.

Place cashews on baking sheet and bake for about 10 mins or til golden brown. Set aside to cool.

Heat wok or skillet over high heat but not smoking and add tbsp of veggie oil and ginger and stir fry for 30 seconds or so.  Add chicken mixture spreading it on the bottom of wok - let cook for 1-2mins and do not move it around.  Then stir fry the chicken for another two mins til all sides browned but not cooked all the way through.  Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.

Add 1tbsp of veggie oil to wok, add garlic, shrooms, red pepper and stir fry for a minute.  Swirl in reserved mushroom juice and stir fry til almost all of liquid has evaporated.

Return chicken to wok (with any juices) and add cashews, 1tbsp of soy sauce, and stir fry a few mins or til chicken cooked all the way through.



I served with jasmine rice.

SO YUMMY!

Thank you Florida Culinary Institute!

No comments:

Post a Comment